It may be hard to believe that we’re already in the end of October. It feels like school just started, but before we know it, the holidays will be upon us. Even if you didn’t get a chance to market your OverDrive services to your students when they returned to class, there’s still time!
It’s important to remember that even if you’ve had your service for a few years, new students come every year and many students may not have taken advantage of your digital collection previously. With the new design and capabilities of your OverDrive-powered website, there has never been a better time to try these unique marketing ideas:
- Utilize our Online Marketing Kit to distribute bookmarks and hang posters about your digital library. You can use our seasonal materials, content specific posters and much more to remind your students about what’s available.
- Create ID cards to distribute for students with their library card number and OverDrive URL (Contact your OverDrive Account Specialist for assistance).
- Speak with parents: Host a demonstration table at an open house event or during parent/teacher conferences.
- Have English teachers spend 10 minutes at the beginning of a class showing their students the website. Have them focus on OverDrive Read, which allows students to access titles within their browser with no software needed.
- Use OverDrive titles on Interactive White Boards to show parts of speech, themes, etc.
- Have teachers offer extra credit for “eBook reports” using your OverDrive titles.
- Start a digital book club and have the students pick classic titles to read together from Project Gutenberg, which is available for simultaneous use.
- Utilize a school Facebook page to share announcements about new titles in the digital library.
- Mention OverDrive during morning announcements.
Thanks to the enhancements to OverDrive’s school digital library, the new additions to our collection and the ease of use created by OverDrive Read, if you teach your students about your OverDrive services now, you can expect record circulation numbers even over the holiday break!
If you have any questions or would like additional ideas, do not hesitate to contact your OverDrive Account Specialist.
Adam Sockel is a Marketing Specialist with OverDrive