The holiday season is traditionally one of the busiest times of year for school library websites. To help you prepare, the Account Specialists from the School Partner Services team share some of their tips for a successful holiday season:
1. Holiday promotional resources: Get your students into the holiday spirit and share a reminder that your digital collection is available even during school breaks. Visit the Partner Portal and download the Holiday Marketing Kit (in the Winter Promo Pack) for fun holiday social media graphics, print-ready flyers to display or distribute at your school, gift box giveaway instructions and promotional materials and more.
2. Highlight your holiday titles with Curated Collections: It is easy to curate your own collection to feature titles of your choosing on your digital library site. Spotlight your holiday themed eBooks and audiobooks right on your homepage and get those seasonal titles circulating. To get started curating collections, log into OverDrive Marketplace and select Switch to Curate from the SHOP drop-down menu (if you don’t see the Switch to Curate option, talk to your Marketplace administrator about getting you “Library site admin” permission).
Read more details about how to curate a collection here or check out illustrated, step-by-step instructions in the “Curate” section of the Marketplace User Guide.
3. Learn new things or get a refresher with live training webinars: Attend one of OverDrive’s training sessions to learn about OverDrive Read, the OverDrive app and some Marketplace Basics. Visit the Learning Center to register for these free webinars: http://partners.overdrive.com/learning-center/live-sessions/
4. Stock your collection (and be entered to win a prize!): The biggest sale of the year is in full swing now in OverDrive Marketplace. More than 50,000 titles are marked down, some up to 50% off. Plus, every purchase order submitted through OverDrive Marketplace through January 11th will automatically be entered into a raffle to win a device for the 2014-2015 Holiday Bonus giveaway. Read more here and get shopping!
5. Make your digital titles easy to find: During the holidays, many students will unwrap new tablets, smart phones and eReaders and they will be looking for free content to load to their devices. Make it easy to point students to your digital collection with some of the following best practices:
- Add a link to your digital library from your school intranet, district homepage or student online accounts. Click here to download free web graphics from the Partner Portal.
- If you haven’t already, consider adding free MARC records to your catalog through our OverDrive MARC Express service (http://partners.overdrive.com/service-enhancements/marc-express/).
- NEW! Be sure to update and verify your school’s information to display in the OverDrive app and at overdrive.com for your students. To learn how to do this, visit OverDrive Marketplace > News tab and read the News Alert “Bringing new readers to your library with discovery tool in OverDrive Marketplace”.
6. Server maintenance & Technical Support: If server maintenance that will affect authentication is planned for over the holidays, please alert OverDrive Support. OverDrive’s Support Services team is also always here to help staff that assists users. If at any time you need to escalate issues to our Support Services team or alert them about maintenance, please complete the “General Support” form in OverDrive Marketplace > Support tab.
Contact your Account Specialist with any questions.
Melissa Marin is a Marketing Specialist at OverDrive.