What makes a successful and high circulating digital collection? There are many best practices including a diverse and regularly refreshed collection of eBooks and audiobooks, staff training and active marketing and outreach efforts.
This year, we launch the OverDrive Digital Library Champions contest to recognize and reward our partners that have followed those best practices and promoted their digital collections in creative, innovative and effective ways. An extension of the Outreach Program contest, the Digital Library Champions contest is searching for the libraries and schools that are acting as a champion for the growth of eBooks, audiobooks and more in their library and community. We’re calling you, audiobook ambassadors and eBook marketing mavens! We want to see what all of you promotional powerhouses have been up to this year.
Who can participate?
The Digital Library Champions Contest is open to all OverDrive library and education partners, including main and branch locations, and libraries participating in an OverDrive shared collection. Entries that were submitted for previous years’ contests will not be considered.
How can my library win?
We’ll award prizes to the libraries with the most creative and effective campaigns in five categories:
- Inside the Library – How are you making your physical branch aware of your ‘Virtual Branch’? Examples could include unique shelving and displays; patron training classes; gadget galleries; staff training; in-library events.
- Online – What are you doing through social networking, email or on your library website to drive traffic to your digital collection?
- Outside the Library – In what ways are you reaching out to your community to spread the word about your digital collection? Examples could include: billboards; sponsoring a local event; partnering with an area business; commuter outreach; ads in the paper or on TV.
- Test Drive – Are you enrolled in Test Drive and actively lending Test Drive approved devices to your patrons? Tell us how it’s going and how you’re promoting the program.
- Excellent eBook Educator (Open to K-12 schools and colleges only) – This new category is set aside for any school or college who would like to share their most innovative marketing ideas. This is inclusive of any and all promotional efforts that impact your OverDrive collection, including online marketing and in school campaigns.
We’ll also name one grand-prize winner to win the OverDrive Allstar Award from among libraries that submit entries for at least three of the five categories. (Get inspiration from last year’s Outreach Program contest Grand Prize Winner, Mid-Continent Public Library.)
To enter, fill out the PDF entry form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 216.573.6888 by Tuesday June 11, 2013. Be sure to include any related pictures, documents, presentations or links to support your entry. Please note that the PDF entry form may have compatibility issues with certain browsers. We recommend using Internet Explorer for best results or in your preferred browser, save the form to your computer to complete and manually attach the file to an email.
Submitted entries may be shared publicly on the OverDrive for Libraries Facebook page. Facebook likes, comments and shares will be taken into consideration when Team OverDrive judges each entry to select winners in late June. Semifinalists will be announced in July and winners will be publicly named and honored during Digipalooza, August 1-4.
What are the prizes?
Winning libraries will receive content credit ($500 each for individual categories; $1,000 for the OverDrive Allstar Award) and an OverDrive compatible tablet or eReader. The winners will receive a list of popular devices to choose from, based on regional availability.
Each winner will receive recognition on stage at Digipalooza ‘13 with a plaque to hang in their library or school. They will also be given the opportunity to be a guest blogger for OverDrive’s Digital Library Blog.
If you have questions, email us at email@example.com. We can’t wait to see all of your marketing ideas!
Melissa Marin is a Marketing Specialist at OverDrive.